What is Formula 1 in Schools?
You are a Formula 1 team commissioned to design, construct and race the fastest Formula one car of the future, powered by compressed air cylinders.
- Form a team – form a team of 3 – 6, think of a name, decide job roles; Team Manager, Manufacturing Engineer, Design Engineer, Graphic Designer and Resource Manager. Now register for regional finals.
- Business and Sponsorship – plan and prepare a business plan, develop a budget and raise sponsorship. Teams are encouraged to collaborate with industry and create business links.
- Design – using 3D CAD (Computer Aided Design) software, design an F1 car of the future to the specifications set by the International Rules Committee just like in Formula One™.
- Analyse – aerodynamics are analysed for drag coefficiency in a virtual wind tunnel using Computational Fluid Dynamics Software (CFD).
- Make – using 3D CAM (Computer Aided Manufacture) software, the team evaluates the most efficient machining strategy to make the car.
- Test – aerodynamics are tested in wind and smoke tunnels.
- Pit Booth – put together an informative display showing your work through all stages of the project. Think about your team identity.
- Scrutineering – cars are submitted to Parc Ferme where the judges scrutinize every dimension to check they comply with the Rules and Regulations.
- Engineering Judging – judges question teams on how their cars has been manufactured and why particular designs were chosen.
- Verbal Presentation – prepare a presentation to perform to a panel of judges covering all aspects of the challenge. This will be completed within a set time limit.
- Portfolio Judging – put together two 10 page A3 portfolios, one enterprise portfolio (documenting your buisness strategy) and one engineering portfolio (documenting the construction of your car).
- Race – time to track test what your team has worked so hard together to achieve a winning car.
Team Mako in Silverstone for the Nationals
Best engineered car, and best Team identity! Well done team Surge
Well done team illusion. Won innovation award and judges recommendation!